Monday, October 13, 2008

MxMo XXXII: Guilty Pleasures (aka Mmmmmm Chocolate)

Geez, I can't believe so much time has past since my last post. I have got to stop letting this happen. Unfortunately, this time of the year is really busy in the distillery business - did you know that around 50% of the spirits sold in the US are sold between Halloween and New Years?

At any rate, enough excuses, and onto Mixology Monday! This month's host, Stevi Deter over at Two at the Most, has selected the topic of Guilty Pleasures. As Stevi puts it, this should be one of "[t]hose things you love, but hate to admit that you love."


So here's mine (cringing a little at admitting it) - the Chocolate Martini. I love a good dessert, and sometimes I like my dessert in liquid form. I know, I know, it's not a martini, and I know, I know, it's terrible for you. Some of my friends might even say it's an abomination in a glass. But a well-made one is incredibly tasty.

Favorite Recipes
One of my mixologist friends here in Chicago, Rashed Islam at Viet Bistro, makes one of the best ones I've ever had. Of course I haven't gotten him to give me his recipe ... perhaps I'll have to send in a spy. In the meantime, here are two of my favorites recipes.


Ultimate Chocolate Martini

2 parts North Shore Tahitian Vanilla Vodka (you knew I'd use that)
2 parts Godiva White Chocolate liqueur
1 part Godiva Chocolate liqueur
3 parts Baileys

Shake ingredients with ice, strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with chocolate shavings. This one came to me courtesy of a member of the North Shore Distiller's Club, Suzanne.


White Mocha Martini

1 oz North Shore Tahitian Vanilla Vodka
1 oz Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur
1 oz Coffee Liqueur (e.g., Kahlua)
½-1 oz Cream or Half & Half

Rim cocktail glass in a mixture of finely ground espresso, fine sugar and cinnamon. Shake ingredients together over ice, strain into glass.


Cheers!

3 comments:

Dr. Bamboo said...

I'll admit I've never been able to fuly embrace the whole chocolate Martini concept, but these recipes may be my turning point.

(and I'll be using North Shore products, naturally!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sonja.

I made your White Mocha Martini for a lady friend last night and it was a big hit.

Cheers
Thanks
Bruce Tomlinson
www.WorldWideDrinks.com

Bianca James said...

I love chocolate martinis too but there needs to be a creamy element (which your recipe has). It seems a lot of the time I'll order one and get this clear brown abomination that tastes like a tootsie roll, which is totally unsatisfying!