Monday, May 12, 2008

Mixology Monday - Rumbling about Rum

Its time for another Mixology Monday, and this month I'm actually going to get something posted before the deadline. Its been a little crazy lately, so unfortunately I have missed a couple of them!

This month's theme is Rum and our host is Trader Tiki a/k/a Blair at
Trader Tiki's Booze Blog (and check out the new MxMo logo at right!). Being a Tiki Drink fan, it seems perfectly logical that Blair would pick rum for the theme. And since spring has finally sprung, why not mix up a rum cocktail perfect for an afternoon BBQ on the deck?

I must admit I don't spend much time with rum. Its not that I don't like rum, its just that there are so many other spirits to play with that rum hasn't been winning the battle for my kitchen counter and bar tools for awhile.

I have, however, been playing with
lemongrass (when I can find it - best bet is the produce markets on Devon Avenue) and tamarind lately. I was inspired by a bartender friend of mine who works at a Vietnamese restaurant.

So here's a little somethin' I have been playing with, hoping for a warmer day outside to enjoy it on the patio:

Tamarind Lemongrass Mojito
2 oz Aged Rum

1 oz Lemongrass-infused Syrup (1:1 ratio, with mix of fresh & dried lemongrass this time)
½ oz Tamarind Nectar (still working on getting something not too overpowering from fresh tamarind)
4-6 wedges of fresh lime (approx. ½ Lime)
10 Mint Leaves (medium sized)
Club Soda

Muddle mint and lime with syrup. Add ice, rum and nectar. Fill with soda water and stir. Garnish with lemongrass stalk and sprig of mint.

What, you don't have tamarind nectar? Leave it out and have a Lemongrass Mojito instead, also quite nice. The lemon & tea flavors of the lemongrass still come through, and provide some additional depth in the drink, without overpowering the key elements of mint, lime and rum. The tamarind spices it up alot, a little goes a long way with that one!

Cheers and happy MxMo!

And PS, this pic is from istockphoto.com. Unfortunately I left my camera at the office, and I wasn't about to miss another MxMo so I improvised the photo.

1 comment:

Ouroboros said...

Great idea! I'll have to make sure to have some lemongrass around for just this sort of thing!